On being constantly in pain

I am a master of running away
I run away from my pain everyday
I am a proficient mortician and make myself look much more alive than I am every day
I mask all of my emotions by applying make up
And screwing in a happy face, carefully and tightly,
Right on the hairline and exactly below the jaw, so nobody would see 
Nobody could see the blood and the bruises and the powdery white stain of the crushed painkiller I snort every now and then 
So I can stop feeling this absolute dread
This complete certainty that I was never tailored for happiness
And I know damn well so many people aren't either
I wanted to find the way to be perfect but still it's not enough
So I found the way to run away from the pain
And hide it so well, sometimes not even I can find it
But if I've left all my sadness and pain alone, I do wonder
If along the way, somehow, I became my pain
If I am the embodiment of my sadness
Because when I left my pain and my sadness alone in the dark long enough
I became just as lonely as everything I tried to run from
And hiding is no longer an option
When you're in enough pain to the point of becoming it, there's no way to hide
That desperate scream
That violent yank
That poisoned bloodstream
That familiar tremor 
It will be all impossible to ignore
Eventually, everything bleeds out.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas