The craftsman - Sculpture of my heart


You took my thick muscle of a heart and held it in your hands
I waited for you to tear the frail veins apart, like any other man
Spread the blood on your body and walk away with your spoils of war
Instead, you held it carefully, as if it were some kind of newly discovered antique
Something of great beauty and value, worthy of being polished, protected and preserved.
Like a talented craftsman, you made a layered sculpture out of my heart:
A vessel of clay, a wall of precious stone, and a fortress of silver and gold.
My heart was a safe harbor made out of love, sheer love, your love
And it followed the rhythm of your heartbeat, beating and skipping and rejoicing with yours,
Positioned high and prestigious on the altar that was my body - always connected to yours.

But your crafty hands suddenly had no more strength to hold anything
Our bodies could no longer be connected, so I carried you around instead
Your heart fought bravely to keep on beating, but lost the war, and I watched you fade.
Your heart, a gravestone - unmoving, inert, unlit. Beatless. Loveless. Flatlined. Dead.
And like a crumbling castle, my home started to fall apart
It was brought down to its knees and executed - one swift motion, my life wrecked.
I walked around the debris, calling out
Your name, a hopeless prayer dissolving on my sobbing lips
And sitting there, on top of the colossal ruins, I found it
Your divine layered sculpture of my heart
My chest, an empty temple that worshiped no God.

I examined it carefully, my eyes still searching for an answer
The fortress of silver and gold was melted down, burned and forced to surrender
The walls of precious stone were now no more than glittering dust,
Spread around and waiting for those who would pillage it
The vessel of clay was split open, cracked in the middle, perfectly broken into melancholic halves.
Inside, I could see the fainting glowing of my heart, thick muscle, frail veins, restless pump
I pushed the corpse of your beautiful sculpture, respectfully and resentfully revealing my heart
Its light flickered at me, agonizing and lost
I held it in my hand, that small fainting light, an empty shell of the mighty muscle it used to be
Still covered in your fingerprints, forever imprinted on my heart
I tried to fit it in my hollow chest
I checked in the mirror, looking for the fortress
Everything was dark and wobbly
The heart, exposed, struggled to keep me alive
But since it could never forget your death,
That was all it could possibly do.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas