Being a woman twice in a day

Today, I was treated like something less than a woman twice (so far)
The first time was while I was browsing through a dating app
And an Italian boy said he loved everything about my country
Brazilian food, Brazilian beaches, Brazilian girls
He lined me up next to "food" and "fun"
Nothing with a personality or voice for that matter
Beautiful, but silent
That made me think of an intercultural workshop I had to take for work
In which an Irish man said Brazilian women were "delicious" and winked at me
I wondered if he also winked at his meals before chewing on them
The second time was in an uber
The very-male driver looked at me impatient because I made him wait a minute
I put my earplugs in and listen to music wondering if this little man knows that this latina knows how to roar, just chooses not to
He wants my attention, so instead of making eye contact or calling my name, he snaps his fingers in front of me
His arm too close to my legs for me to feel safe
His eyes bitter daggers with shadows that spelled an anger uncalled for
His mouth going like "pshh pshh pshh" as if calling on a kitten or another delicate animal
Something dumb
Something that required too much of his patience
Even though I am a successful and smart woman, ready to let out a swarm of bees into that car
Even though I am independent and support myself since I was 20
Even though he would never address a man like that
I decide to do nothing
It doesn't make me less of a feminist when I am simply picking more important battles
I purse my lips and sigh loudly, the storm inside settling
I sit there thinking about these men
Who lick their teeth for me. Who see me as a delicate animal. A silent pretty thing.
I promise I'll kill them all and dance barefoot on their graves
These men, winking and snapping
They will regret not knowing what a woman really is.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas